Progress to Date

  • Original Loan Amount: $204,000.00
  • Balance at Beginning of 5-year Goal (1/1/08): $188,983.82 @ 6.00%
  • Balance at Refinance in February 2009: $148,000.00 @ 4.625%
  • Outstanding Balance: $0.00 (PAID IN FULL!!!)
  • Latest Payment Date: April 2011
  • Latest Additional Principal Amount: $17,623.22
  • Amount Ahead of Schedule (since refinance): $121,462
  • Time Ahead of Schedule (since refinance): 7 years 10 months
  • Interest Saved Last Month: $23,972.48
  • Total Interest Saved: $28,435.55 ($1,037.74 on original mortgage; $27,397.81 on current mortgage)
  • Months Remaining in 5-year Goal: 20
  • Average Monthly Principal Needed to Meet Goal: N/A (Goal achieved)
  • Progress List Explained

Monday, March 17, 2008

Selling Stuff

As I wrote in an earlier entry, I have been working on selling the excess stuff that's been cluttering our lives. I had originally started selling on eBay, but discovered half.com after reading about it on Antishay's blog. I'm surprised I didn't stumble on it myself, since it's an eBay site, but I was so focused on their main auction site that I didn't pay any attention to Half. What a pleasant surprise it was, then, when I started listing our stuff on Half -- it immediately started selling.

In less than a week, I've managed to get rid of a bunch of unwanted books, movies, CDs, and video games, netting about $100 so far. I'm amazed that there are so many people out there who want our old stuff. I am pleased that it's all going to others who will get more use from it than we did. I'm also pleased that we get some money from the sales, which we can put toward our expenses.

Of course, we do have some other items that can't be listed on Half because they don't fall into the categories that Half allows. I'll need to go back to eBay or some other site to continue to sell the rest. But after the simplicity of Half, I'm not as excited as the additional work required to create an eBay listing (photographs, descriptions, and so on). Plus, eBay charges a listing fee whether the item sells or not. Half only charges commission on completed sales.

We are slowly building up to sell some higher-priced items in the near future. I'm hoping that the success of the smaller listings (and the accompanying positive feedback) will benefit us when we finally list the more expensive stuff -- stuff that will make a real impact on our bottom line, including the omnipresent mortgage debt.

1 comment:

Shanti @ Antishay said...

Hi! Thank you for the link :) You can also list books, CDs, DVDs, etc. on Amazon.com. They take a bigger cut from your total earnings, but the shipping paid to you is higher and there is no initial listing fee. I use Amazon for the stuff I can't get half.com to accept becuase Amazon has a bigger library to find your stuff in.

I'm glad you're finding success!